Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Today

Don't know what happened today. We managed to get most of the house cleaned, made a nice dinner, and did a good job with schoolwork. How'd that happen?

The thing that's hard, though, is that my voice doesn't last. Ever since that year-long bout of laryngitis, I've had to be careful of my voice. Whenever I get diligent about doing schoolwork with the kids, I end up driving my voice into the ground. Still haven't figured out how to resolve that. My brain knows that I have to find a "different" way to do school that doesn't involve much of my voice, but a "new way" hasn't seemed to work. The "old way" is a good way for us. But there's the little problem of my voice sabotaging my homeschool efforts. Gotta lower the bar on my grand plans. Reading aloud together and discussing books is such a great thing! How do I give that up?

2 comments:

  1. Boy Susan that would be tough for me too. I overheard someone discussing how they find it difficult to read aloud to their kids so returned their Sonlight Curriculum. I thrive on the read-aloud section. The kids moan when we miss it. Can one of the older kids do some of it? Just a thought that popped into my head. Then you could knit or something???

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a thought. I may have to consider easing them into some of the reading. The problem we've had so far is that the younger squirt tunes out easily, and older sibs don't recognize when that is happening. And I'm still trying to make up for the ... ummmm ... lack of "grounding" for kid#5 when he was a preschooler and all the attention seemed to be on the doctors that the baby needed. So neither one of the younger two seems to get as much as they should when they read to themselves. That's one of the reasons we're reading aloud instead of just handing it over to them to read to themselves (which would've been okay for the older kids in the pre-teen years). I've handed off some of the reading to Daddy sometimes. But maybe I ought to ease kids into doing a little of it now and then too, at least to build up their read-aloud skills.

    ReplyDelete