Thursday, March 15, 2007

Crowns

A week or so after our dental appointments last fall, the corner of one of my molars broke off while we were attending a homeschool outing. I intended to call the dentist when we got home, but it was too late in the day by the time we returned home. I didn't get around to calling the next day. By the third day, I was beginning to realize that it seemed kind of silly to call the dentist when there was no pain. I figured I'd just wait until the next regular check-up.

The dentist tells me I need a crown. I don't know whether to believe him. Our dentist back in St Louis had mentioned once that my husband had a cavity, but it was small enough not to need a filling. The dentist said it would probably heal itself. Heal itself??? We'd never heard of such a thing. But it did. Our current dentist told my husband several visits ago that he had a small cavity that needed to be filled. Gary has put it off, and it too appears to have healed itself. Web-surfing, I found an article from Prevention Magazine on teeth healing on their own from cavities. Another article (relying heavily on Weston Price Foundation information) advocates scrupulous attention to nutrition as a way to achieve dental health, even healing cavities.

When asked why I need this expensive crown that would be painful, the dentist's response is that I might get a cavity in the broken tooth, and it might get deep enough to cause a toothache prior to my next dental visit. I've never had a toothache, and I've heard they're worse than I can imagine. So I don't know that I want to risk decay in a place where the nerves are already so close to the surface of the tooth.

This website discusses alternatives to crowns. And this one mentions some problems that arise, including the possibility of an abcess, the likelihood that the crown will need to be replaced about once a decade, and the likelihood that the tooth will end up needing a root canal.

I'm not sure what to think. I fear that the dentist wants to just "follow standard procedure" whether that is the best or not. I fear that his motivation is more about income for his dental practice than concern for my dental health. But what if he's right and I end up with a misery-inducing toothache? And yet, it seems pretty drastic to grind most of my tooth into oblivion now because I might later get a cavity that turns into a toothache at an inconvenient time.

4 comments:

  1. I don't have time to look for the link, but if you check out Mercola.com, there is an article by the environmental dentist that they have on staff, and they say that crowns can cause more problems than they help, because they can trap the infection in the tooth. At least worth reading for an alternative read...don't know anything from experience. I've had a root canal and a crown, and those are no fun either.
    I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I didn't have cavities for years, and now my new dentist says I need 7 fillings. Six months previous to that I had clean x-rays. Fishy. Seven cavities in 6 months? I went ahead and had the 2 "worst" done. It will be veerrry interesting to see what those other 5 look like at my next appt. Thanks for hunting down links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been crowned twice. Both after we moved here and began with a new dentist. But I haven't had anything since - no cavities - nothing. And I like the way he deals with my children's mouths and mine. He very strongly encourages home care and none of us has had anything real major. Looking back, I realize that maybe, just maybe part of my problem was that I was finishing nursing my third baby in 2.5 years plus moving and that whole aspect took a toll on my teeth. I doubt that is your problem ;-), but I agree that nutrition does play some part. Good luck figuring what to do. Btw, I haven't had any problems since the crowning. Well, only one, if I eat to much sugar (like when I ate a bunch of jelly beans last week), my teeth sort of hurt and I don't enjoy chewing gum as much as I use to. But I sort of count that as two positives not negatives. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had 2 root canals and 5 crowns. No problems. They told me gold crowns should last 20 years. Having a root canal done now has improved immensely since I had the first over 20 years ago. Gum chewing and crowns do not work well together. Peanut brittle is also too sticky.

    ReplyDelete