Friday, February 23, 2007

Snowstorm

The cars are driving past the house are going about 30 mph instead of 65. The snow started about 7:00 here tonight, and is already piling up and drifting. I hope Philip makes it home from work safely.

We had plans with friends for tomorrow. A birthday party was put off from early February due to bad weather. Now we're postponing again. Bummers; we wanted to see Bartletts! A certain child who will remain unnamed try to convince me that we might as well try to go. After all, if we're not going to get there, we might as well Not Get There after having made an attempt rather than just give up before we even try. Because, if we try, we might actually succeed in Getting There, and we most certainly won't get there if we don't even try. I explained to him that Not Getting There could involve a ditch, a tow truck, a significant deductible on car repairs, increased car insurance premiums, and possibly physical damage to our bodies. My version was that, if we're not going to make it to the get-together, better to Not Get There by staying safe at home rather than Not Get There by sitting in a ditch waiting to be towed.

But I'm going to have to venture out to the nearby village to do paper route. And to buy yeast. We're nearly out of bread. I started soaking the grain to make a couple of batches of bread. And then discovered that there's no yeast in this house. (And don't anybody remind me that I already discovered that on Wednesday!!! Because I forgot. I'm old. I can't remember anything. In fact, I'll probably go to town to do the paper route, and still forget to buy yeast.)

5 comments:

  1. I hope you guys get to see Bartletts; I know that would be fun. My sister and I are still planning something with E when he's up our way. He and I might both be at Bethany College for a day next month too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like everyone is having bad weather all around. I'm not able to leave my yard and go to town until someone comes and plows me out. This may even mean missing Church tomorrow :-( not fun.

    I know how it is forgetting that you are out of something and start something that needs a certain ingredient and not having it and having to run to town to get it. The sad part of it all is that I have a marker board that I write my grocery list on and I never seem to look at it before I leave the house. Yesterday we realized that I needed stuff for supper and the milk was expired so I ended up getting the truck stuck getting out and DH buried the truck trying to turn it around when I got home. Don't you just love all the snow?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope we have NO more snow build up on the roof this year! I came home at noon to find Dad on the roof AGAIN! Ladder he climbed was sitting in snow bank. I feel like crying and screaming at the same time. I hope we can find a solution before next winter! (We are in the midst of freezing rain at the moment.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, we wanted to see you guys too. I thought of the same line of logic as 'unnamed child', but unfortunately reached the same conclusion you did. So we're stuck in our one-room cabin here. ;-)

    Now, if I had easy acess to a snowmobile and/or snowshoes, it would be a different story.

    (My mom says to tell you your conversation with unnamed child made us both laugh.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and that we are looking forward to the next attempt, which of course goes for me too, I just didn't have the presence of mind to say it...

    ReplyDelete