Wednesday, October 04, 2006

One of those days

I started the grain soaking for the bread last night. When I went to put the other ingredients into the dough and knead, there was no yeast. There's always supposed to be a pound of yeast in reserve in the basement, but there's none in the kitchen nor in the basement. By the time I manage to get my hands on some yeast, the wheat is going to be way over-soaked.

I picked up the little old car from the repair place yesterday. The oil light flashed at me on the way home a few times. I checked the oil and there was nothing on the dipstick. The people that drive that particular car have been forgetting that Zippy guzzles oil like crazy. So we put two quarts in her and need to check again how low she is.

Different kid was in a car wreck. All the humans are fine. The vehicles are not.

Found a moth and two worms in the rice jar when I was making lunch.

Waiting to hear test results of a friend's biopsy.

Went to deliver papers to the paper-carriers today. It had to start pouring just as we got to town. I managed to get all the papers into the garage of the guy who has the biggest route, without getting the papers tooooo damp. And then I remembered that he's out of town and I was supposed to deliver the bundles to his substitute. Put all the bundles of newspapers back into the van, got there to the sub's house, found his whole driveway was entirely full of broken-down vehicles, and the street was entirely full of puddles.

The slimy Democrat was supposed to come by last night to talk to me and pick up his yardsign. He never showed.

Distressed about something that happened Monday night. There will be a chance to talk about the problem tomorrow.

On Saturday, our little area of the world became overrun by box-elder bugs. They're everywhere. On Sunday, that infestation was joined by centipedes. They were everywhere outdoors, crawling on everything, more than you could possibly count. It's been raining for several days, and the centipedes have migrated indoors. At least they are (so far) confined to the floor of the basement, and not the furniture nor the upstairs.

I'm ready to quit everything now and go watch tv and eat Snickers. But I can't. The laundry beckons. The children need to be fed. The bread needs to be made ahead of time for next week. I need to go to work. And one child is insistent on my helping her with schoolwork right now. Can't we just deal with FOOD first?

3 comments:

  1. Susan,

    Are you the Susan that I met too briefly at our church as you and your boys +1 were making your way to the Higher Things conference?

    I, too had a day like yours yesterday---it was the first time in a long time that everything seemed to be going wrong---evidence of the Fall was everywhere. The details were different, but it was the exact SAME DAY!!
    Thanks be to God that His mercies are new every morning---I awoke this morning (after sleeping in) with a new, and much improved day. Prayers ascend for a new day for you.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Beth, I'm that Susan.
    :-)

    And thanks for the hugs and understanding, Polly and Beth.

    ReplyDelete