Friday, October 06, 2006

A Hog's Head?

Son phones from work. Oh, no, panic time. This week he's learning to solder and he's already given himself a couple of minor burns.

No, it's okay. The phone call isn't about injuries.

"Mom, do you have any idea of what to do with a hog's head?"

I didn't know what was behind that question.

"Well, they are having a contest at work."

I assumed this was a contest for creative ideas of what to do with a hog's head. In a lovely fit of community spirit, the company bought one of the hogs at the county fair last month. They roasted the victim today and treated the employees to dinner.

I proceeded to explain that some people make head cheese.

"Well, ummm, I won it."

He won WHAT?

"The hog's head. They had a raffle for it, and I won. Turns out I was the only one who entered. I figured if anyone knew what to do with the head of a pig, my mother would."

Hmmm. I think that might've been a compliment.
It's hard to know for sure.

I'm certainly not surprised that he's the only one who entered the raffle.

I guess tomorrow we'll be boiling the head until we get the meat to fall off, and we'll throw some barbecue sauce on it, and have sandwiches. Any other suggestions? I sure don't have time to mess with anything complicated when we're getting ready to leave for a week or two on Monday morning.

1 comment: