Thursday, August 22, 2013

Don't Be So Judgmental

So.  Apparently I was the troll yesterday.

A friend linked to a blogpost which kind of surprised me.  When I read it, I thought that some of the things we discussed last week at VBS were entirely pertinent and affirming and comforting.  So I made a brief comment, even though I didn't know the blog writer.

Dang it.  Never post comments when the discussion is with strangers.  I know that!  Why did I have a lapse today?

Oh, right -- I thought I had something encouraging to say.  But I was wrong wrong wrong, you see.  It's bad of the Church to extol marriage, you see, because it makes singles feel like second-class Christians.  We shouldn't be promoting marriage, you see, because what is truly important is love and community.  If that comes in marriage, fine, but there are plenty of friendships and couple-situations that are just as important as marriage.

And when I was foolish enough to mention what God's word SAYS about the blessing of marriage and how it reflects the image of God, that was naughty of me.   Bible verses are no help for people who are suffering, you see.  (???)  My experience and your experience count for something, you see, and let's not clutter what we know with old-fashioned stuff like God's word. 

Not only that, but even when I mentioned a Savior who forgives and rescues sinners, that was naughty too. 


This is what passes for Christianity?
This is how irrelevant Christians think God's word is?
We care more about hurt feelings than we care what God says?
Heaven forbid anyone talk about forgiveness, as that might imply sin.

It kind of shocks you to say something supportive and comforting and loving, and get smacked down for being a meanie. 

2 comments:

  1. So they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this is the worst persecution I undergo, I will be living a very cushy life. :-)

    I do wonder what this sort of mentality will mean, in days to come, for our persecution.

    ReplyDelete