Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Post-Modernism

[Yawn ...]
Folks talk about post-modernism, and I tune out.  Despite hearing people talk about it ad nauseum and what it means for society and for the Church, I just do not understand.  I tend to hear "blah blah blah" when I should be listening.

So when Jonathan Fisk was presenting at the CCA symposium last month, I was shocked to hear a brief explanation that even A Bear Of Very Little Brain can understand. 

First, Pastor Fisk explained that post-modernism is post [that is, after] the age of Reason.  "Modern man" used reason and intellect and thinking.  Post-modernism poo-poos reason.

And here's what that means: 
1.  What I feel and what I experience is what matters.
2.  Therefore, there is no certainty, no objective truth, and no absolutes.


Now that I know this, I'm not completely lost!  And "blah blah blah" actually contains a few words and sentences now that I can grasp!

No comments:

Post a Comment