Thursday, April 03, 2008

Robins' Return

Back at the parsonage, we've watched the annual robin wars. The males come back in spring a few weeks before the females. The males have to duke it out for their turf. There are several days after the fellas come back, prior to the territory being settled, when we could watch HOW the sections of the backyard and the trees were being divvied up. It is immensely interesting to watch.

A few weeks ago, Gary was at the parsonage on the weekend of the robin wars. I didn't get to see it. That was kinda sad.

When I said something to a friend about missing it, living in some subdivision, he told me that we're not really in a subdivision, but we're still in a rather countryish area. I tried to look on the bright side. I tried to appreciate the undeveloped areas around the ski hill nearby. I tried to remember how little yard and grass and meadow I would see if we had settled even more "in town." But I still was missing the country.

Today I had no laundry to drop off at the laundromat during matins. So I took a different path to church this morning. Oh my goodness! What a difference that made! Instead of heading south and then east, I headed east and then south. Usually I drive through a whole neighborhood full of $400,000 homes and then past a two malls and a Kohl's and a McDonalds and several banks. Today I drove past a cornfield and a horse pasture and two big patches of overgrown tree nursery.

Ahhhhhhh, that's good for the soul!

2 comments:

  1. I grin when I read your posts about living in town and missing the country. I live in the country and miss living in town. Isn't that funny. I lived in Chicago for 10 years and loved all the opportunities to experience new things! I miss it! I do love things about country life, but I think I must be "a little bit rock and roll" lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristi! That brought a smile to my face! I know I'll get used to being a city girl again. There's a lot of good things about it. But cows and wildflowers and hay just won't be some of the "good things." I unashamedly indoctrinated my kids in the philosophy that is gently expressed in Virginia Lee Burton's Little House. And now I'm in the village -- not the city yet, and certainly not the big city -- just the village.

    When we're settled, hopefully we can begin enjoying some of those city things!

    ReplyDelete