Thursday, November 01, 2007

The Long Warfare

After two months of severe health problems for my dad, the doctors finally discovered the problem. Doctors don't often get the response, "Oh, good!" when they announce a cancer diagnosis. But when the doctors finally pinpoint a problem and have a surgery to correct the heretofore undiagnosed distress, it's really quite a relief.

The surgery was done. Recuperation has begun. And it's going better than the recuperation from last year's surgery.

One thing stunned me, though. After two days of my being in hospital waiting rooms, swabbing lips, adjusting pillows, holding hands, sitting with mom & sibs, eating cafeteria food instead of my own cooking, not getting much sleep, etc,

when I came home I realized that it was less stressful at the hospital than it is at home. There's something seriously wrong when being at the hospital while your beloved father is having surgery ... is a restful vacation compared to your regular everyday life.

I'm tired.



And when the fight is fierce,
the warfare long,
steals on the ear
the distant triumph song.
And hearts are brave again
and arms are strong.
Alleluia! (TLH 463)

3 comments:

  1. :/

    I practically insist you let Liz and I take you out for dinner somewhere if you have a night free when you're down here.

    And I have books for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling something was going on. Your blog was just too quiet (and now 6 posts in one day). I am sorry to hear about your dad and will pray for him and your mom (as I continue to pray for you). And how well I know that feeling of having life come to a screeching halt because of a crisis only to get back on the roller coaster when you go home.

    Hang on, Susan. Your ride operator is still in control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget to let your family know that you need taken care of as well. The husband probably would be thrilled to be reminded of how much you need him. We women tend to be 'strong' and then forget we aren't always strong and sometimes need taken care of.

    Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete