Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Girls Cry

Back in August, my young friend Matthew and I were talking about the new Harry Potter book. I'd recently finished it, and he was about halfway through. I said something about the parts that made me cry, but of course he didn't want to hear anything about it yet.

Several days later, Matthew had finished the book. We were talking about what we liked, what surprised us, what disappointed us, how we felt about different people's deaths, etc. One thing Matthew wanted to know was "So what was it that made you cry at the end?" He understood my tears over Percy's return. I also told him that I knew, about five pages before it happened, that Neville was going to kill Negini, and that just started the tears to flowing. "But that's a GOOD thing! Why would you cry over that???" I tried to explain, and the closest I could come was pointing out that sometimes people cry at weddings. Well, Matthew could understand how people would get emotional and cry from happiness at a wedding. But this was battle. This was Neville. This was defeating evil. This was altogether different from a wedding!

We fussed with each other about that for a bit. Then Matthew pulled his dad over, "Do you know what made her cry?? When Neville killed Negini! Can you believe that?" And his pa said, "Well, yes, Matthew. She's a girl." "What's that got to do with anything?" "Well, son, girls are different from boys. Get used to it. That's the way it is."

So last Thursday at church, an envelope was handed to me. Cash from an anonymous donor. I headed out the door and took a walk and cried.

Why cry? That's just stupid. The gift was a good thing!
Girls are different from boys.

Today a friend got tapped to be a mediator for another anonymous gift. After the first phone call, I headed out to jog, and I cried (with a smile on my face).

How stupid. The present is a good thing!
Girls are different from boys.

As the day progressed and we tried to finagle some arrangements to make this surprise work out, I realized that it might not work out. But you know what? (It's so cool!) Even if the tangible physical benefits of the gift didn't come through, the knowledge that somebody(s) loved us enough, cared enough, to bother with this ... just the knowledge that they tried to pull this off was awesomely and unbelievably buoyant. It was encouraging. It meant so much ... even if it didn't pan out.

Then came the bad news from the county and the repairman. But minutes later came the good news from our local looper-mediator that the plans were all in place from the anonymous folks who desire to provide some comfort to my family. That helps so much!

Tomorrow night -- long hot showers! Here we come!

And I am the poster-child for "girls are different from boys."
Because sometimes girls cry when it makes no sense at all.

5 comments:

  1. I understand, and there are tears in my eyes. Keeping you and family in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks be to God! Enjoy those much deserved showers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,

    Don't be fooled by what boys tell you. I am married to a man that cries frequently at happy events, especially triumph over evil. I am also parent to a son who does the same thing. It is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those unexpected gift seem sweeter, don't they? Rejoicing for you all!

    ReplyDelete