Monday, August 06, 2007

Fitted Sheets

I've been trying to figure out how to salvage fitted sheets when the cloth isn't at all worn out, but the elastic has gone. It crossed my mind that maybe I could sew elastic crosswise around the bottom of the corners. But then I wondered if it would be easier just to sew a 12-18" strip of fabric to all the edges, so that there would be something to tuck under the mattress. I suppose I could just buy a new set of sheets, but it seems a shame to waste this one set when the cloth is still in such good shape, and pretty, and comfortable.

3 comments:

  1. When the elastic's gone, sheets make their way into curtains, pillow cases, drop cloths for painting, quilt backs, dishtowels (if they're 100% cotton.)

    I like your idea of adding a "tucking" strip. I wouldn't have thought of that. Elastic is expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem. I took 4 pieces of elastic a little over a foot long each and pinned them to each of the corners of the the sheets just to see if it would help. It did. That was several years ago. Never have sewn the elastic to the sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we've had this problem, we've gone to Bed Bath and Beyond or a similar store and bought these clips that have elastic and look kind of like one strap of a pair of suspenders, only you attach them to your sheets at both sides of the corners, so they go under the mattress and keep the sheet on. Last time I got them, I paid less than $5.00 for all four.

    As I despise sewing, it was worth it to me, and since the clips can be released, I didn't have to fight with the sheets as much to get them off.

    ReplyDelete