Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Panic

Ya leave the country. Nobody calls on the cell phone (which is on roaming anyway). Then in the space of three hours, we get three phone calls. Beginning to panic. Calming self with the rationalization that it's just coincidence. But the mommy heart frets that something terrible happened, and people are trying to get hold of us because of a fire or a tornado or an ER visit. Tried to call people. Tried to email. Got no response. The imagination goes wild. Finally one child calls back, and it turns out that she is just trying to find out whether her kombucha turned out all right. Turns out that Gary got a hold of one of the other callers, and he said the discussion could wait until next weekend. So it was all nothing.

I tell myself and tell myself that these people are grown-ups and can take care of themselves. But it's ridiculous how fast my mind can conjecture scary scenarios out of nothing.

4 comments:

  1. Susan,

    I am glad to hear I am not alone! Same thoughts run through my mind.

    Lu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum. Just got your message on my cell.

    When you called I was actually out dropping the papers off, but I had left my cell at home. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. I can plan a funeral and life as a widow in the 10 minutes that somebody is late getting home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Philip, thanks for doing the papers! The worriedness I was referring to was Tuesday night's stuff; I wasn't fretting over your non-answer on Wedn morning. I just assumed you were out delivering papers for me. :-) Hey, did Rachel do Andrew's route yesterday evening?

    Polly and Lu, YES yes yes! I do the funeral planning too!

    ReplyDelete