Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Dinner

We were going to be having turkey-vegetable soup, scalloped corn, and baked squash for dinner today. I had Andrew grinding up heels into bread crumbs. The soup was simmering. I figured the ever-popular scalloped corn would be the penance I was performing for making my mistreated husband eat soup for the second time so far this week. But when we hauled the egg-box out of the fridge there was one egg. ONE egg? In this house? One egg? (Who's the guilty party who snacked on eggs recently? Hmmmm?) So I called both neighbors who sell eggs, so as to determine whether to head north or south to fetch some. Neither one has eggs. Those chickens are still on strike. In fact, one told me that she's had people stop by who've never stopped by before. Apparently, everybody's chickens are on strike because of the weather. She also told me that she tried to buy more laying pullets, but the place where she gets them has been inundated with requests, and they won't have any available until fall. Whoa! No wonder the price of eggs at the grocery store has more than doubled in the last year or so.

So we had potatoes instead of scalloped corn. Yukon Gold potatoes -- mmmm. But even that wasn't enough to assuage the second time for soup this week. I told the kids to put out the Cheez-Its for crackers instead of the boring old saltines. That sure perks up a soup, but it's still soup. Why, oh why, can't these people crave soup the way Katie and Rachel and I do?

4 comments:

  1. Truckerman and I found that Gold Fish crackers and Croutons work well in soup too. The boys love them in their soup...the only way the youngest will eat it...if he had his way we would eat tomato soup everyday of the week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only explanation is:

    They are soup-hating mutants.

    I've enjoyed the soup...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I move in?

    I love soup. A lot. More than a lot. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You want a summer activity, Anthea? Stay with my family and pretend to be me so they won't miss me!

    Or just be you, and they will miss me a little...

    :-P

    ReplyDelete