Sunday, January 21, 2007

Random Thoughts

Gas down in Rockford this morning was still over $2 when we went to church, but on our way home we saw a gas station in Wisconsin with $1.98. It's been a while since we saw that!

For years, I told myself that we needed to buy snow-fence and put it up in late fall. But year after year, I neglected to do it. Then we had to dig out the drifts. When I was little and my dad talked about "drifts," I didn't understand what he meant. Sure, I understood the concept in my mind, but I didn't understand the way that snow drifts make shoveling seem entirely futile. After a few years of drought, snow-fencing seemed pointless (even though there were several days per year of digging and re-digging out a sidewalk that had already been cleaned four times since the last snowfall). This year I'm wondering if the increased snowfall will motivate me to get snow-fencing in November. Probably not...

I had sixteen hours added to my week this past week. Didache was canceled because of Pastor's being in Fort Wayne for symposia. So was Thursday Bible class. I also skipped my weekly errand-day in the city because I'm trying to get back onto my Monday routine after having the errand-schedule goofed up by Christmas and New Years. Those three things alone put sixteen extra hours into my week. Did I cross a lot of projects off my to-do list? Did I catch up on chores? No. Granted, I spent a little more time on the computer than I should've, and I spent a few hours answering phone calls from desperate parents investigating the possibility of homeschooling. But most of those extra hours got used up in homeschooling. No wonder I always feel like I'm behind.

I was a good girl last week and did schoolwork with the kids instead of listening to symposium lectures live-streamed on the computer. Boy, that took some self-denial!

When we were driving into town the other day, Andrew saw a sign that I hadn't noticed. He asked, "What does evangelical mean?" I asked whether he meant the real meaning of the word, or the way it is commonly used today. He asked for the real meaning first. So I told him it means "gospel" or "gospel-ish." The sign he saw was for the Evangelical Free church in town. He wanted to know why any denomination would call itself something like "Gospel-Free Church."

6 comments:

  1. He wanted to know why any denomination would call itself something like "Gospel-Free Church."

    Oh, that is a good one! Thumbs up to him! I got a good chuckle from that one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blocked out Tuesday through Thursday for the trip to Ft Wayne and of course you know I got snowed in. Did I deny myself? NO! I read and knitted and napped.

    Call me indulgent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our driveway always gets screwed up by plowing, so this year I erected poles all the way down so as to reduce the amount of gravel we must rake out of the yard come spring. Of course, we've had no snow. But yesterday, we finally got 1 measly inch. Lame, but pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so lovely to share a pew with you yesterday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs Apron -- I agree with you about the "lovely." And I love how much brighter and sunnier that snow cover makes a cloudy day!

    Anthea -- YES, it is wonderful to sit with you in church! Even though we didn't talk or chat or "be together" like we sometimes get to do for fun, just sitting together in church makes me feeeel happy and mushy and closer to loved ones. :-) There's something about worshiping together and believing the same thing that is just so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what I meant to say, you just hit the nail on the head. :) We really should do the whole hanging out thing again sometime soon, though.

    ReplyDelete