Sunday, November 12, 2006

Serves 8

We finished working on a physics lesson this afternoon. Not having the energy to get up and start housecleaning (aren't we supposed to take naps on Sunday afternoons?) I picked up the newspaper, noticed a special food section in the weekly magazine, and browsed for a few minutes.

I saw a recipe for chicken chimichangas. Looked good, but there's the big "but." How much would I have to make?

I'm just tired of cooking SO much of the time. I want fast-food. I want insta-food. I want food that will take me only an hour of prep time, so that I have time for physics and decimals and auditory therapy and all those things I'm supposed to be doing with the kids. I thought this chimichanga recipe looked like it would take less than an hour to prepare the recipe as written. But I can't make a recipe as written.

It said it "serves 8." I busted a gut laughing! So I asked one of the boys. "This recipe calls for 8 flour tortillas and about 3 cups of chicken meat and 2 cups of cheese. There's also some sauce and some chilis and some onions, but the bulk of the recipe is the tortilla, chicken, and cheese. How many servings is that?"

He looked at me with some skepticism, and answered slowly, "One."

Yup. That's about what I figured! Actually, with my old age and decreasing appetite, I figured it would be about 1.5 servings, not just one. Serving that amount of food to growing children, no wonder it takes me so much time to prepare meals!

7 comments:

  1. I would have said 5-6 servings, but after having J,J, and J around for 4 days, I now recall "growing children" do put away quantities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Most famous teen quote from our family:
    "Mom. You know, I'm never NOT hungry," said in all earnestness by the resident 14yo boy.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a difference in appetites. There are four living at my house right now. Mom, dad, and two teenagers. If the recipe says it serves four, it will serve the four of us, and there will be leftovers for two of us at lunch tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Sounds like my house. I have said many times that I also need to buy a dairy cow, because my dc drink so much milk, especially my ds! I figured milking and taking care of the cow would keep him good and busy too. Hubby hasn't gone for it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That might serve eight as a side dish -- but who has time for those! I'm a casserole or crock pot queen on my busiest days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would maybe serve one here. We've noticed upon visiting other families that our kids eat a tremendous amount. But that could be because we don't do a lot of snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I made that amount Patrick would wonder what the rest of us were eating.:}
    I make triple batches of recipes that used to yield leftovers doubled, but any leftovers that may make it into the fridge disappear when Patrick forages at midnight.

    ReplyDelete