Monday, November 05, 2007

Attending Funerals

Until I was school-aged, and classes interfered, I remember going to funerals at church with my mom and grandma. They always seemed to be people I didn't know. Of course, I was 4 or 5; who would I know? Probably my mom and grandma knew the deceased, but that didn't make an impression on me. All I knew was that we went to funerals at church, even if I didn't know the people.

So when I grew up and had kids of my own, I went to the funerals at church. I suppose some people thought it was because I was the pastor's wife. But it wasn't. It was because of Mom and Nanna. And because I figured it was just right to go the funeral of those with whom you'd worshiped, those brothers and sisters in Christ, even if you didn't know them that well. They are family, regardless of whether you play cards with them, go to picnics with them, or sit next to them in the pew. So that's what we did. Even when a pastor told me once that it was "sorry" and "pitiful" for people to go to funerals of folks they don't know.

Then Pastor said something in Bible class recently that I never thought of before. He was in the midst of explaining to us how to talk to unbelieving friends and family members and co-workers about the Faith. It wasn't a pep-talk about how to "do evangelism." It was just the simple stuff of what to say (the contents of the creed) and what not to say (your "testimonial"). He mentioned -- somewhat in passing -- that this was why it was important to come to funerals at church, even if you barely know the person. At funerals, the Christian brothers and sisters are speaking the Faith to the mourners. The Christian mourners need to have the support of fellow-Christians in their time of need. But the unbelieving mourners hear the Gospel sung and spoken by the church-family. The unbelievers are there with the church-family and not "just" the pastor (who, in their minds, is there just because it's his job).

Who would've ever thought to list "attend funerals" under the heading "Evangelism Efforts"?

4 comments:

  1. My mother often attends the funeral of say, a coworker's father, or the dear friend of a friend. Some have thought her odd for doing so, since she doesn't "know" the deceased, but more often the survivors are deeply touched that she troubled herself to offer her condolences in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't go to other people's funerals, they won't come to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working in the funeral industry I see it everyday. Unfortunately I have to stay neutral when it comes to my faith unless I am asked but being there for the families is a big comfort for them. So going to a funeral of someone, even if you do not know them well, is a huge comfort for the family and other friends that are there. It is also a good thing for you. At a Lutheral funeral you are there to worship the Lord and Savior and showing God's love to the family and to those that are not believers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the funeral of a coworker's husband recently. It was my first RC Burial Mass and a good learnign experience in addition to me being there to express condolences and support the colleague who has done so much for me. I didn't know the faith practices of my colleagues since religion isn't spoken of in our vocations. I did discover one that is Quaker as we both didn't commune at the Funeral Eucharist. Another is RC, and I suspect the others in attendance were Greek Orthodox, and maybe Jewish. That said they all had the chance to hear the Word of God through the Scripture readings. Another reason why attending Christian funerals is good faithwise.

    ReplyDelete