Monday, May 21, 2007

Frugal Wedding?

Prom dresses are available during May and June for low low prices. For $50 or less. Some of them are white or ivory.

Simple food, cooked yourself, is supposedly more work than having a catered reception. And yet, hunting up which caterer, and making decisions about menu, and checking to make sure it's being done right ... that's not necessarily easier than sandwiches and carrot sticks. On the other hand, Andrew and I got four grocery carts full of food today and had to be wise packers to manage to fit it all into the car to bring it home. And we bought wedding items last week and have to get more produce later this week. Whoa!

Office Max sells invitation kits. You just print 'em up with your computer. It's possible to skip the response cards (have people phone or email), or save postage by using postcards for responses instead of envelopes.

Get the music you want at the reception instead of the music the DJ wants. Burn CDs and plunk them into a boombox. Forget the DJ. You might even consider outrageous things for reception entertainment, like playing football. But the guests might want to know to bring shorts and t-shirts for after the ceremony.

A nice new suit is about twice the cost of a tux rental. And the suit can be worn for many years. Or maybe the guys already have suits. Do the guys really need to be exactly matched?

Rather than trying to find a less expensive way to do something, rethink whether you need to do it at all. For example, do you really need napkins and candy packages and matches engraved with the bride&groom's names and the wedding date? Do the mothers and fathers need corsages and boutonnieres? Will guests be disappointed if there are not party favors? Of course, some couples will want these things, and that's great too. But if you can't afford it, no sense trying to have these things just because you're "supposed to."

When I was checking out of the grocery store last week (with gobs of paper plates and cups and pop and water jugs) the clerk asked about our party. I told her it was for my daughter's wedding. She asked how many people we were having. I told her about 130-150. She said, "Wow, that's a big wedding!" Funny -- for most of the people that I know, 150 is a SMALL wedding. I was told Katie and Nathan's (with 65 guests) last summer was an "intimate wedding" (apparently one step up from "private").

7 comments:

  1. Regarding wedding size. Maybe she thought it was a big wedding to be handling pretty much on your own.
    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another $$ saving tip that many overlook is having ONE attendent couple. Then you can shop the clearance prom racks for ONE bridesmaid dress. Easier to plan everything, all around. Unless of course the bride has 2 or more sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES to the "one attendant." Fewer flowers. One bridesmaid dress, and it can be something of her choice so that she can wear it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a lurker who found you from Elephant's Child. I'm so impressed by your wedding plans, I'd love to make jewelry if you need any. If you tell me what you want and name the price, I'd be happy to do it to fit your budget. You can contact me at www.jobead.com if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Needing jewelry special-made for a wedding? I guess that's one of those things I would put under the "rethink" category. Why buy special jewelry when there's probably already something you have that has sentimental value? Or don't wear jewelry at all.

    Oh, yeah, that reminds me of another frugal option. Forget the "mother of the bride" dress. Just get something out of the closet. Of course, Sandy found something utterly gorgeous for the price of a regular dress, and that was really cool. But I didn't even want to shop for anything; I have dresses already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't mean to offend you with my offer. Lots of brides I work with use jewelry as a thank-you gift for their maids, which can be an inexpensive but sentimental gift. All of these proceeds go to Wellspring International so they get to "give" twice with one gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Jo, I wasn't offended by your offer. Thanks, it's very sweet.

    I'm sure lots of people want special things for a wedding. At one of the last weddings I went to, the bride and all the bridesmaids had matching jewelry, and it looked really nice. But jewelry is just one of those things that's low on the radar for us. Like when Pastor mentioned to Rachel something about the pretty wedding bulletins, and she didn't want to bother: just the plain old paper without a picture is fine.

    Besides, you'd have to stay up all night to get it done in time! :-)

    ReplyDelete