Monday, September 25, 2006

Little Road Hazards

Shortly before dawn I was returning home from dropping off one husband at one airport. Now, being up before dawn is not usually according to my plan! About 3/4 mile up the road from the house, I hit a road hazard. Somebody's metal lawn decoration had been taken out by a passing vehicle, and debris was scattered in the road. It couldn't be missed; it covered too much of the lane. As I'm driving the rest of the way home, hoping that my tires survive, I thought I should tell the boys to watch for it when they go to work today. Then I thought, "No, better drive back and pick up the chunks of metal so that they don't have to remember about the threat of tire-puncture." It's really quite a shame that I had no incentive to do that to protect other drivers and their cars. But somehow, when I realized that I could have three cars with flats by the end of the day, self-interest compelled me to be kind to my neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment