Saturday, May 17, 2008

Granola

Toss together
5 cups rolled oats (works better than quick oats)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans or almonds or whatever)
1/2 cup sunflower kernels

Stir together
1/3 cup olive oil
2/3 cup honey
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vanilla (or peach schnapps or black raspberry liqueur)

Mix honey into oats. Stir till all oats have been moistened. I bake it on a lightly greased airbake jelly-roll pan for about 20-22 minutes at about 360°.

If I bake it on a cookie sheet that's not airbake, I have to shorten the time or decrease the temp. The boys like it baked longer so it's a littler browner. I do not stir it in the oven, nor while it's cooling. If I wait until it's completely cool before loosening the granola from the pan or removing it, I get bigger chunks instead of just oat-flakes. When completely cooled, store in a sealed container.

I used to try to make huge batches of granola so that I didn't have to do it so often. But then I was putting too much in the oven, and I had to bake it for so long, and I had to keep stirring it, and that was too much brain-effort and trouble for me. Sometimes I burned it; sometimes I underbaked it; I always ended up spilling some on the bottom of the oven. This recipe lets me mix it, throw it in the oven for 20 minutes, let it sit on the counter for an hour or more, pretty much ignoring it. That makes for success! LOL. Of course, this batch seldom lasts us a whole week, and would only last for a couple days if we didn't eat so many eggs for breakfast! But this recipe is easy enough to make that I can handle doing it more than once a week.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much. "Wendy and the Lost Boys" had a recipe that I used. It is tasty, has more sugar than I like, and it was more of the fine pieces....but I stirred it every 10 minutes. I was wanting bigger chunks. Yeah! This sounds perfect. If I add some coconut and maybe wheat germ or flax seed will it change things too much? I wounder if it would need more liquid? Have you ever played around with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know adding the coconut should work fine. I don't because I don't like coconut.

    I've sometimes added wheat germ and flax in the past. They're smaller pieces and seem (to me) to be disproportionately wasted, as they end up in the bottom of the granola bucket, or in the bottom of the cereal bowl (where maybe someone doesn't finish the last spoonful of milk). Depending on how much you add, you might want to increase the liquid a bit. A tablespoon or two of each shouldn't make much difference. But if you added a 1/4 cup of each, I'd bump up the oil and honey.

    If you like Angie's recipe, you might want to try cooking that in a thin layer (3/4" or maaaybe up to 1") on a lightly greased cookie sheet, without stirring while it's cooking or cooling. That should help with the chunk-size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missed the "lightly greased pan" instruction. Duh, Erin. Lots of the yummy granola was very stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Erin, I'm sorry. But it should've worked pretty well anyway. I'm still training myself to grease the cookie sheet. I never used to, and the recipe called for an ungreased cookie sheet (assuming, maybe, that the oil in the recipe would be enough to keep it from sticking?). When it sticks, I just use a big ol' metal spatula to loosen and scrape (and chisel?) the granola loose from the pan.

    ReplyDelete