Monday, January 21, 2008

Meal Plans

Good housewives plan their meals for the week and then head to the grocery store. Everybody tells us that this is the way to reduce grocery costs, reduce wasted food, and save time in the kitchen.

I am not a good housewife.

Every time I plan meals ahead, a monkey wrench gets thrown into the mix (oftentimes a good monkey wrench). We get invited over to somebody's house for dinner. Or leftovers are sent home from a potluck or funeral dinner. A neighbor stops by with fresh garden produce. Or someone gets sick, and we need chicken soup instead of lasagna.

So I've developed my own style of "meal plans" without planning ahead. As I go through the grocery store, I check out what kind of produce is getting good-n-ripe and very cheap. I check the meat bin where the "last day before expiration" meat is available for less than half price. I found red peppers for only a dime more than green peppers this week, so we're eating fajitas tonight.

When I get home from the store, I jot down food items on the refrigerator memo board. That way I can remember that I have some pork that needs to be thrown in the crockpot with bbq sauce. Or that there are turnips that will need to go into a stew or soup. Or that there's lettuce hiding in the back of the drawer that I ought not forget. Or that there's a ½-pound of hamburger that needs to be used in something (baked beans? taco salad?) before it gets too old. Then I can just keep crossing items off the list in whatever combinations they are used.

This is not the best way to do it, but it works for me. There's some semblance of planning in that I have a list to jog my memory about what I purchased. And things don't get wasted. But I don't have to plan the meals before I see what I can buy on-the-cheap from the market.

4 comments:

  1. Susan, that is the way we plan our meals as well. I want to be a good girl and do it "by the book" but it doesn't work for us...too expensive! I also use the rule you shared on Loopers years ago...$1 per person per meal OR LESS. That certainly helps me not to feel guilty spending $6 on a beautiful marked down roast :) Especially since it is very hard to find $1 per pound meat anywhere. We had better success with that rule in the midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many defenitions of a "good housewife". I believe your process does indeed put you into that catagory! I like your idea. You are all MUCH more orgaized than I am! I look forward to staying home next year and spending more time on saving money and serving my family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauri, the whole ethanol thing has sure done a number on my ability to keep it to $1/meal/person. Grocery prices have gone up SO much! I suppose if I consider 3 meals per person per day (which Gary and I certainly don't eat any more) I'm still makin' it under my old self-imposed limit.

    Kristi, every time I think about the need for me to go to work to earn money, I keep thinking of how much I save by being home and being a tightwad. I'm sure you will find many blessings (and extra pennies) by being home with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I was just going to sit down and write out a weekly menu plan. I use to do that and fell by the way side over the summer and haven't picked it back up. But for me knowing what at least one meal/day (which is really all I plan) is going to be helps in my overall well-being. Plus, most of our meat is in the freezer, pork, beef, and turkey, so buying the cheap veggies helps with the sides. And the menu plan helps with knowing what needs to thaw. My main gripe is that chicken lately has been so doggone pricey. I have plenty of legs/thighs for fried and even whole ones, but I want some breasts to make some of my favorite other dishes. Of course they were on a good sale when I was gone!

    ReplyDelete