Thursday, August 23, 2007

Not Enough Light?

It's been dark. Two weeks of near-constant rain means dark skies to rival January's short days and lack of sunlight.

Some people swear by the benefits of light-therapy boxes. I wouldn't know. They're expensive and they take too much time/attention to use. However, some measure of relief can be found in simpler and cheaper ways.

Go outside for 20-30 minutes every day. Do it even when it's not very sunny, because there's still more sunlight outdoors than there is in your house. Don't do it early in the morning or late in the day; do it when the sun is reasonably UP in the sky so you get drenched with more of those happy rays. Go outside for your sunshine even though you don't have time for it. Some of us need the sunshine more than we need to brush our teeth or take our showers.

Eliminate curtains if at all possible. Even when they're open, they probably cut down on the light coming in the windows.

"Natural light" bulbs (such as Reveal) don't do what light-therapy does. But they sure serve the purpose in a much better way than plain old fluorescents or incandescents.

Find things to do by your sunny windows. When you're reading books to a kid (to whom you never read enough anyway...) do it by a sunny window. When you're mending, do it by the sunny window. Move your computer to a place near a window. Watch how the cats always find a sunbeam to sit in. Then steal the cat's spot.

4 comments:

  1. Good tips, Susan. I am blessed with big windows in this house; it seems amazing that sometimes I forget they are there. And I'm thinking it's time to rearrange my living room to face the couch towards the eastern window.

    Thanks for the link in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I don't know anything about Reveal (which are incandescent) for helping SAD, but the flourescent full spectrum bulbs have really helped my husband. Winters are not dreaded as much - except for piles of snow and ice.
    Suzanne in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always make sure to spend some time outside, though my motivation is fresh air, as I hate direct sunlight and avoid it whenever possible. Give me a good overcast day, though, and I'll grab a pillow and a book and live out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I could almost feel my body soaking up the sun. Yesterday I went out for a little while--had to pick those tomatoes, ya know--and the little bit of sun that was cutting through the clouds and haze felt good, but it was so steam-bathish out there that I felt completely wilted after ten minutes.

    ReplyDelete